Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Preschool Update

I wanted to do a quick update on Pierce. He's been in preschool since August and has made some crazy progress! Shout out to his teacher, Mrs. Katie!

She has some amazing abilities to be able to teach a bunch of four year olds the kinds of things Pierce is learning now. Around Christmastime, I caught up with her about Pierce's progress and asked how he was doing. My concern with Pierce is that he'll start kindergarden as a four year old. I'm nervous that being the youngest kid in his class will have negative affects on him down the road. She said that he's the youngest preschooler in class now, but also one of the smartest! Well that made me feel a little better...

He's able to count to 100 (one of the few in his class who can), can count by tens to 100, knows how to spell every color, can spell every child's name in his class, can spell a few random words, like cat, mom, dad, Cooper, Devine, pig, cow, etc., can count backward from 20, and can recognize every number from one to 100 (i.e. 92 is "ninety two," not "nine two").

That's pretty good if you ask me! Proud mom here!

Today they're working on recognizing and putting together simple sentences using the words: I, a, it, is. She's having them construct simple sentences like "It is brown" since they know their color words. He's also learning how to sound out worlds. He sounded out "it" tonight and I was so excited!

Next up is math and learning how to add numbers. I'm excited for this second phase of preschool because I really think he'll learn so much from now until school starts in August. The only thing he's lacking is coloring. He hates to color! I don't think he's ever actually colored a full picture. His color worksheets have him correctly coloring what color it says because he can recognize his color words, but it's just a bunch of scribble around the word. His handwriting is getting really good though!

So I'm assuming this is good for a four year old, but I have nothing to compare it with. I'm still very proud no matter what and am growing in confidence that sending him to kindergarden in August is the right thing to do.

P.S. I never liked to color either!

No comments:

Post a Comment